Job Posting: Executive Director, Illinois Craft Brewers Guild
Executive Director Position:
The Illinois Craft Brewers Guild (ICBG) is dedicated to promoting the development and expansion of the craft beer industry in Illinois. We are seeking an Executive Director to help us fulfill our mission of giving brewers a voice in legislative matters, providing educational opportunities for our members and consumers, and promoting the quality and diversity of Illinois craft beer.
Reporting to, working closely with, and helping to guide the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will advocate for and implement the Guild’s mission. Specifically, they will be responsible for day-to-day operations as well as the ongoing development and growth of fundraising initiatives, legislative opportunities, educational programs, and relationships with state government, media, and relevant industry associations. The Executive Director serves as an inspiring and engaging face of the organization and is responsible for monitoring and operating the Guild’s annual budget.
Organization & Mission:
Founded in 1997, the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild represents more than 220 breweries in the state and more than 100 allied members. Since that time, we’ve expanded the opportunities available to our members by working to modernize liquor legislation and providing access to educational resources. To help fund these efforts, the Guild organizes several large, annual festivals that are nationally recognized as top-tier events for brewers and beer enthusiasts alike.
Leadership & Management
- Provide overall leadership of the organization, ensuring successful execution of the mission and thoughtful stewardship of financial resources
- Serve as the recognized voice for Illinois craft beer in national and state policy matters
- Establish and actively foster relationships with state legislators and policy leaders; identify legislative opportunities, work with contract lobbyists, and strategize legislative efforts as prioritized by the Board of Directors
- Ensure that all programs and initiatives support the Guild’s mission and are fiscally sound and sustainable; track and evaluate programs’ success, and communicate progress or concerns to the Board
- Manage annual budget; actively monitor accounting and financial records; ensure proper preparation of annual financial statements and tax returns
- Oversee all communications with Guild members, contractors, vendors, and sponsors
- Work collaboratively with and provide oversight for the Guild’s Associate Director, in addition to setting performance targets and monitoring progress.
- Lead and oversee the Guild’s fundraising efforts; design, develop and implement fundraising and sponsorship opportunities using proven strategies that ensure sustainability and continued growth
- Establish, build and maintain relationships with brewery members, associate members, sponsors, event partners, and the media
- Serve as the public face and champion of the Guild to the community and the media; maintain, promote and provide visibility for Illinois craft brewers throughout the state
- Oversee Associate Director on developing and implementing marketing and communication strategies that build visibility, promote quality, and connect breweries across the state
- Plan, organize and lead quarterly meetings with Guild members; identify and secure host locations and speakers
- Draft and send out monthly newsletters to keep members apprised of Guild activities, opportunities, and regulatory updates
- Advise and support the Board of Directors
- Schedule and set the agenda for bi-monthly Board meetings; notify Board members in accordance with Guild bylaws
- Seek Board involvement with strategic direction and operational excellence
- Regularly brief the Board on the status of ongoing legislative priorities, fundraising efforts, and member outreach programs
- Connect regularly with committee Chairs to review progress on ongoing initiatives/ programs/ events and report back to the Board
- In collaboration with the Board, help to identify and recruit new Board and committee members
- Reside in the state of Illinois or willing to relocate
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 2 - 4+ years of nonprofit management experience
- Comprehensive understanding of applicable local, state, and federal alcohol laws and regulations, particularly with regard to how they apply to Illinois breweries
- Proven experience developing and implementing effective fundraising plans
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Polished and persuasive written and verbal communication skills, including excellent listening skills
- Willingness to work outside normal business hours (including nights and some weekends) and travel approx. 25% of the time (primarily in-state)
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for craft beer
- Highly preferred:
- Experience in government affairs and/or public policy with proven ability to build and sustain relationships with government officials and relevant trade groups and associations
- Demonstrated capability working directly with senior executives and government officials, including state and/or federal administrators and Congress and/or state legislatures and administrations.
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health and dental insurance, paid vacation, and sick and maternity leave.
The Illinois Craft Brewers Guild is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If interested in applying, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating why you are the best fit for the role, why you want to work for the ICBG, and what value you feel you would bring to the organization. Email email@example.com